In 1943, Dr. C. C. Lane passed away in a car accident when returning home from a Sunday farm call. His widow, Caroline Lane, kept the practice alive after his passing. She dispensed first aid measures, boarded and groomed pets, and recruited another veterinarian to help serve the community. She continued her husband’s legacy while their son, Wilfred Chandler Lane, served overseas during the Second World War. After the war, he would come to follow in his father’s footsteps.
By 1955 the now Dr. Wilfred Chandler Lane, a proud Michigan State University graduate, had returned to his home in Chelsea to resume the family veterinary practice.
In 1963, Dr. W. C. Lane foresaw the area’s changing demographics and had a full-service veterinary clinic erected next to him and his wife, Donna Lane’s, family home. The practice on 636 N. Main Street continued to thrive and grow with Dr. Arthur Tremper, another graduate from Michigan State University (1967), and Dr. Robert Bowers, a graduate of The Ohio State University. They both joined Dr. Lane in 1972, and they would come to serve the community of Chelsea for their entire professional careers.
As the 1990s rolled around, Dr. Lane, Dr. Tremper, and Dr. Bowers continued to grow the LAH practice in Chelsea. Dr. Lane’s wife, Donna Lane, continued to be instrumental in the growth of the clinic. She served as receptionist, accountant, office manager, nurse, dispatcher, and cook, along with many other pivotal roles. Their youngest son, Jonathan Frederick Lane, returned to Chelsea and eagerly joined his father in practice. The next generation of Lane family practitioners was solidified when Dr. Jonathan’s soon-to-be bride, Dr. Margaret Callan, joined the practice. Both Drs. Jon and Margaret Lane graduated from Ross Veterinary University in St. Kits in 1995 and 1996, respectively. The recent graduates benefited greatly from the experience and knowledge of their skilled colleagues.
Shortly after Dr. W. C. Lane’s passing in 1997, his widow, Donna, Dr. Tremper, and Dr. Bowers began construction on our current LAH home at 701 N. Main Street. They brought to life a vision for the future of veterinary medicine with room to house a larger boarding facility, an expanded grooming salon, and ample room for LAH to continue to grow and expand to fit the community’s needs.
Dr. Holly Andrick joined the Lane Animal Hospital team following a GP externship with LAH through Michigan State University in 2013. As Dr. Bowers and Dr. Tremper planned for retirement following more than 40 years in practice, Dr. Brian Fryburg came on board in 2017 after graduating from the University of Florida in 2015. Dr. Tremper fully retired from practice in June 2018, following 50 years in veterinary medicine. Dr. Bowers is currently still practicing one day a week at LAH alongside Dr. Jonathan Lane, Dr. Margaret Callan-Lane, Dr. Holly Andrick, and Dr. Brian Fryburg.